June 5, 2012

The ABCs of Recycling

One boy shows off his picture of his home
Today was a special day for me. I got to leave the office. Not only that, but in exchange for my desk and internet access I got to visit one of our local daycare centers and spend my morning talking with kids about recycling! My arms loaded with library books, coloring sheets, letters to the parents and directions, I headed out.

While I set up and waited for a good break in the class, I got to see some of the great things these kids are already learning at their daycare. Once class was measuring the growth of their sunflower plants, another released butterflies they had been raising, and yet another happily interrupted the middle of one of my stories to inform me that their class had a recycling bin! Taking care of their environment and neighborhoods is clearly a well-repeated lesson.

So what did I have to add? Maybe nothing more than another adult telling them that trees and fresh air are important. I read each class a different book, they drew pictures of their homes to brighten up our office, and they got coloring pages to take home (sorry, moms and dads out there, I'm sure your homes are leaking crayon art at this point).


If you're interested in teaching your kids about recycling, here are some resources I recommend*. You can also look up books by topic through the Buffalo Public Library System or get activity books from the New York State Public Service Commission.

Books

  • The Great Trash Bash by Loreen Leedy
  • This Tree Counts! by Alison Formento
  • My Forever Dress by Harriet Ziefert
  • We Are Extremely Very Good Recyclers by Lauren Child

Websites

  • www.kidsenergyzone.com
  • www.loseyourexcuse.com

*My personal recommendation does not indicate endorsement by Neighborhood Housing Services of South Buffalo.